It’s a truth universally acknowledged that a trip to Disneyland ain’t cheap. Here are our TOP TIPS FOR SAVING UP FOR DISNEYLAND.
- Break out the piggy bank.For day to day purchases, use cash and pocket the loose change for your “Disneyland Fund.” This is especially great for kids. You’ll be surprised at how much change you’ll stack up over time in your piggy bank, and remember- each penny is one step closer to Main Street. When your piggy bank is full, roll your coins and take them to the bank, or make a quick trip to Coinstar (they take 10% or you can opt for gift cards with no service charge).
- Give the gift of Disney. In lieu of wrapped presents, opt for “Disney gifts.” For Christmas this year we each gave each other a Disneyland treat for our next trip. Hayley gifted me a dinner at Rancho del Zocalo, I gifted her a dinner at Plaza Inn, and together we bought our Dad’s 3 day park hopper. We got to avoid the madness of holiday shopping and had two amazing meals together in the Happiest Place on Earth.
- Have a garage sale. We have twice yearly garage sales and put most of the proceeds towards our Disneyland trips. Make sure to make brightly colored signs (date, “Garage Sale”, and a good arrow are all you need) and start early in the morning. You’ll be surprised by how much stuff you’ll be able to get rid of. You can even invite friends to bring over their stuff. Pick up donuts and you’ve got yourself a party. Declutter your home and make more room for Mickey- what’s not to like?
- Combine goals. Have a goal, but don’t feel very motivated? Combine your goal with your Disneyland trip and get things moving. For example, trying to cook at home more? Each time you opt to dine in rather than dine out, add $5 to your Disneyland fund. Trying to get more exercise in? Each time you walk around the block, put $1 towards your Disney fund. You’ll feel motivated and be on your way to a Disneyland trip.
- Cash in. If piggy banks are not your style, try cashing in on some credit card points. Many cards like Chase or Bank of America offer 1% to 2% cash back, or American Express points can be redeemed for cash gift cards. Do some research and find out if cash back would work for you.
We hope these tips make your next trip to Disneyland more than just a dream away. Don’t forget to check out our other tip posts and let us know what are your favorite techniques for financial trip planning 🙂